- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium size grated zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 medium size onion roughly chopped
- 1 small poblano pepper seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 4 crushed garlic
- Olive oil
Heat the olive oil in a deep pan, saute the crushed garlic and onions for a few minutes, add the grated zucchini and chopped poblano. Add salt and pepper. Stir for a about 2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and let simmer on low heat for about 20-30 minutes to reduce the sauce.
In the meantime, while your sauce is perking away..... transfer the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl, and the rest of the ingredients are -
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 cup of grated cheese (reserve the 1/2 cup for sauce later)
- A bunch of chopped parsley (in this dish I used cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream or 1/4 cup of buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs - (I did not have bread crumbs so I crushed some saltine crackers) worked as well.
- This is when things get messy --- combine all of the above ingredients in the bowl with ground turkey and mix thoroughly. Form into a medium size balls (about 2 tablespoons). Correct seasoning.
- Heat some oil in a pan and brown the meatballs on all sides. Add all the browned meatballs into your perking tomato sauce and simmer for another 5 minutes. Correct seasoning and add the remaining grated 1/2 cup cheese on top and garnish with basil.