- 10-12 large shrimps washed, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 of a red onion diced
- 1/4 cup pearl barley (or farro) rinsed and drained
- 2 servings of whole wheat grain penne or any pasta (cooked al dente )
- 2 large plum tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/2 of the English cucumber diced
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- White or gold balsamic vinegar (or wine vinegar)
- Mustard powder
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 2 cloves minced garlic
Season the shrimps with salt, pepper, minced garlic, and garam masala, and a sprinkling of olive oil. Set aside. Heat your grill pan - brushed with olive oil; line up the shrimps on the pan for a minute or so on each side until the shrimps turn pink. Set aside.
PEARLY BARLEY PILAF...
Add the barley to a pan with 1-1/2 cups of water or broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until all the water is absorbed. Fluff, season, add the diced cucumber and the tomatoes. Mix thoroughly just like a pilaf.
WHOLE GRAIN PENNE PASTA.....
Cook the pasta al dente (follow the instruction on the box) and drain saving some pasta water. Add the pasta to the barley pilaf and toss, mixing thoroughly. Pour some of the balsamic vinaigrette and toss (leaving about 1/3 cup for the shrimps' sauce). Add some pasta water to the barley/pasta salad if necessary. Set aside.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Pinch of salt and ground black pepper to taste
- A squirt of honey
- In small bowl whisk together all of the above and season to taste.
Heat some olive oil on a small pan for the sauce.. add 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala and a pinch of mustard powder to the oil; stir for a few seconds before adding the reserved 1/3 cup of vinaigrette. Squirt a little more honey, simmer on low and continue stirring until it thickens a little. Sprinkle the sauce over the shrimps and serve with the barley pasta salad. (A quick note: if you are using farro-follow the instruction on the package)