Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My "chicken schnitzel".....at kitchen! kitchen!......

My Chicken Schnitzel
A wonderful golden, moist, and crunchy chicken scallopini
will twirl around your taste buds asking for more.
Chicken schnitzel warming a whole grain pesto penne pasta
topped with white anchovies.
What is a "schnitzel" after all without the anchovy!
A perfect Sunday dinner to end a perfect weekend.
I will never forget my first "vienner schnitzel" on my first trip to Europe with my parents right after my high school graduation. I thought to myself, what a strange dish - meat with anchovy. As soon as I tasted it, my palate was transported into another world. I loved it! A German/Austrian dish of veal scallopini but pork and turkey would be lovely too.

For the Whole Grain Penne Pasta and Pesto Sauce- please see previous postings for the recipe.
For MY CHICKEN SCHNITZEL.....
2 medium size boned chicken breast without the skin - thinly sliced (for a quick browning) - this will yield about 10-11 scallopini
Amazing Dry Rub (for a generous massaging)
A drizzle of olive oil
1 tablespoon of buttermilk
Marinade the chicken in a bowl with the above ingredients for half hour to an hour.
In the meantime......
Beat 1 egg with a tablespoon of milk 
Prepare 1/2 cup of flour with a pinch of salt in a bowl for dredging.
In a separate bowl prepare 2 cups of Panko crumbs (or bread crumbs) add more if necessary.
Heat 1/4 cup of canola/vegetable oil in a large pan until really hot....
You need to do an "I Love Lucy"assembly line of sort on this. Start by dredging each chicken piece in the flour shaking off the excess, next dip the piece in the egg batter shaking off some of the drip, then dredge in the PANKO crumbs making sure each piece is completely covered and slowly put in the pan with the very hot angry oil. Cook and brown each side for about 2 minutes on each side or turn the pieces as soon as you see the sides start to turn golden. Do not crowd the chicken pieces in the pan to avoid steaming.
Drain on paper towel or on a cooling rack with paper towel underneath (not to cool it but to let the oil drip down - this keeps the pieces crispier). Serve with some sprinkling of freshly grated parmesan cheese. This recipe serves 2-3 diners.
hint! hint! hint! - double the quantity if you want some leftovers for sandwiches the next day. My 11 pieces were gone in a blink of an eye!
Other serving suggestions: serve with roasted, boiled or mashed potatoes with butter/lemon sauce.
BUTTER LEMON SAUCE:
Melt slowly in a pan 1 stick of butter with a squeeze of 1/2 a lemon and a pinch of salt or microwave for 20 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment