Monday, November 1, 2010

the many faces of the black rice pilaf....at kitchen! kitchen!..

Black Rice Pilaf
Serve to partner any dish.

Black Rice Pilaf With Anchovy
Serve as an appetizer with Spanish white anchovy.
Garnish with miniature cubed cucumbers and minced leeks.

Black Rice PIlaf With Anchovy
Serve with my Drunken Ribs added another dimension to the dish.
The Many Faces of BLACK RICE PILAF......I made this dish the day before halloween. How appropriate! As I was browsing around my neighborhood asian store, I came across a package of black rice (it looks like wild rice) and my curiosity got the better of me. I asked the guy what it is, and how to cook it. "This particular rice is a little sticky and you cook it the way you would like any normal white rice", was the reply. Okay.....I wasn't really too happy about the answer, however, I bought it anyway. So, based on the limited information I have on the black rice, I tapped my good old reliable "kitchen angel"- my cooking instinct - and it works! ..so here goes..

1 cup Black Rice
1/2 cup brown rice (as a "loosening ingredient" - I didn't know how sticky the black rice would be).
(follow the cooking instruction on the brown rice package.The black rice do not have any instruction so, I cooked it the way I would a brown rice). The brown rice took the color of the black rice when cooked. Other option: USE WILD RICE
Before cooking the rice, season with 2 teaspoons salt, 3 whole cardamon with husk and smashed a little, 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder.
For the next step......to combine the cooked black rice with ......
1 medium red sweer pepper minced
1 medium orange sweet pepper minced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup white raisins
1 small carrots cubed thinly
olive oil
1/4 cup of minced leeks (both green and white part -  chives will be good too).
2 pieces of Spanish white anchovy (or regular anchovy)
Follow the cooking instruction for this next step as on previous posting for QUINOA. or BROWN RICE with BARLEY.
Garnish with miniature cubed cucumbers and minced leeks
**To shape the pilaf as per photo - use a large cookie cutter on a plate and spoon the pilaf onto the inside of the cookie cutter gently compacting it and slowly lift the cookie cutter up.

No comments:

Post a Comment