Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Whole Wheat Pasta With Anchovies......at kitchen! kitchen!

 A delightfully delicious whole wheat pasta with anchovies.
There is nothing complicated about this dish except a promise
of pure delight!


 
The simplicity of a dish will often bring joy to one's palate and makes one think of how good life has been. That maybe after all, Someone up there watches over you. It made me think of my mom and my family back in the Philippines. There is this locally made anchovies from the old country that I always fill up my extra luggage with. These are the wonderful anchovies that I could only get in there. A friend told me that it is available now in California. But somehow, the fact that I struggled  ( you have no idea how much 2 dozens of jars weigh) to bring some with me back to the States made it more special.

My Cupboard:

4-6 pieces of anchovies (Connie's Gourmet Anchovies) or Canned Anchovies)
*Chop 4 anchovies and live 2 whole for garnish later*
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. of hot red pepper flakes
5-6 cloves of mince garlic
a pinch of salt
Whole Wheat Pasta or regular Pasta
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
Basil leaves

Cook the pasta and follow instruction on the package **** reserve some of the pasta water**

Sautee the garlic in a pan with olive oil until fragrant (do not burn) add the tomato paste and a pinch of salt. Stir and add the chopped anchovies, pepper flakes and some pasta water. Simmer for 3-4 minutes adding more pasta water and olive oil as needed. Add the chopped basil and pour in the cooked pasta into the pan and add freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Garnish with whole anchovies and serve with garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment